Spring Symposium, 2014
Plans are underway for next year’s spring symposium on poverty and health in Latin America. Please check back often to learn of symposium dates, program updates, and other details.
The Inaugural Spring Symposium, May 1, 2013
The UCLA Blum Center hosted its Inaugural Spring Symposium: Informing Responses to Reduce Poverty and Improve Health in Latin America on May 1, 2013 in De Neve Auditorium on the UCLA campus. The event attracted more than 150 researchers, students and medical professionals to participate in a robust program featuring:
- Welcome by Scott Waught, UCLA’s executive vice chancellor and provost.
- Opening Remarks by Michael A. Rodriguez, MD, MPH, UCLA Blum Center director.
- Keynote Address: Mesoamerica Health Initiative: Innovative Financing Mechanisms to Improve Health in Latin America by Jaime Sepulveda, MD, MPH, DSc
- Crossing the Borders: A Dialog with UCLA Deans and Other Leaders on Interdisciplinary Efforts to Improve Health in Latin America. Four deans and other UCLA leadership participated in this panel facilitated by Timothy Brewer, MD, MPH, vice provost, UCLA Interdisciplinary and Cross-Campus Affairs.
- Two panel discussions: one on Migration / Urbanization and one on Policy Issues Related to the Social Determinants of Health in Latin America.
- Luncheon Presentation of UCLA Blum Center Summer Scholars
- A PDF copy of the program booklet is available for download here.
Symposium in the News
The symposium was made possible by the generous contribution of Mr. Richard Blum, UC Regent and the support of many UCLA and area schools, colleges, institutes and centers.
UCLA Schools and Colleges
- College of Letters and Science
- Division of Humanities and the Division of Social Sciences
- David Geffen School of Medicine
- Department of Sociology
- Fielding School of Public Health
- Graduate School of Education & Information Studies
- Luskin School of Public Affairs
- School of Dentistry
- School of Law
- School of Nursing
UCLA and Area Institutes and Centers
- Center for World Health
- Center for the Study of Latino Health and Culture
- Center of Expertise in Women’s Health and Empowerment
- Center of Expertise on Migration and Health
- Chicano Studies Research Center
- International Institute
- Latin American Institute
- Program on International Migration
- Social and Public Art Resource Center
- UCLA Labor Occupational Safety and Health Program
[photo gallery to come]